Achilles tendonitis is flammation of the Achilles tendon, the tendon that connects the calf muscles to the heel. it typically occurs closer to where the tendon inserts into the heel. Achilles tendonitis is an overuse injury that occurs from repetitive stresses to the heel such as running or jumping.
Achilles Tendonitis Symptoms
- General pain and stiffness to heel where achilles tendon inserts
- Pain and stiffness first thing in morning or after prolonged sitting that improves with activity
- Mild swelling or tendon may feel thick
- Decreased flexibiliy of calf
- Not warming up properly prior to activity
- A sudden increase in running mileage or number of hills
- wearing worn out or improper shoes
- Flat feel
- Sports that require a lot of jumping or stop/starting
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms and they have not resolved with rest and ice you should consult your doctor who may refer you to Physical Therapy. Here at Lucas Therapies a therapist can show you proper stretches and exercises as well as use modalities to help reduse your pain and get you back to your activity faster. They may also discuss proper exercise regiments and equipment to help prevent further problems.